Friday, July 10, 2009

Wonder Warthog, part 3 - sketching a head design

(I'm redesigning, modeling, and rigging Gilbert Shelton's classic cartoon character, "Wonder Wart-Hog.")

detail from a design drawing

Throughout my anatomy study and character-based software tutorials, I'm also designing our hero's head and costume. The rest of him is standard male human anatomy, already designed by nature. Here are my first tries at the head.

early sketches

The first step of the design process is to get the ideas out of my head through some quick sketches, and see which of my impulses work and which don't. I'd like my version to look less silly and more like a warthog than the original.

drawing incorporating anatomical info
(click to enlarge)

Then I throw some reference material into the mix. This includes old Wonder Wart-Hog comic books, photos of warthogs, and studies of warthog and human anatomy.
At this stage, I'm ready to experiment with some sculpting, so I can see what the design looks like from various angles. After that, I'll have to design a costume and be sure that it and the head look good together.

next: more designing
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment