First, we created new hair textures and a new skin shader for all the children, which makes them look less like plastic. I'm using overcast lighting this time, primarily so the children's faces are easier to distinguish.
|details from design sketch|
- add more foreground items: animals, clothing accessories, plants
- articulate the children's fingers, so their hands can be more expressive
- renovate the barn so it contributes more to the composition
- model new distant hills with details like buildings, vehicles, and animals
- create a larger variety of trees
- paint a new cloudy sky to match the new lighting